25 June 2013

Summer reading list: part one

Let me first say, twitter is a swimming way to contact authors. I give a shout out to the book and the author thanks me (hook and bait, suckers) and I get gratification (they heard me! I'm a somebody!)

I started off my reading with this treasure:

It's so great because I love reading about the 80s, or highschool in the 80s. It's why I fell in love with Freaks and Geeks and why I use quotations from The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day off in my everyday life. This memoir leads you back in time and plugs you into the music of a good era. 

Second book was:

I saw this on the wall at Chapters and I thought, who is Isaiah? This book is all modern and traditional at the same time. Mysterious and amusing. This guy works the midnight shift at a 24 hour bookstore and he stumbles upon some peculiar goings on at the store. People come and pick up odd books and he realizes these books are all encrypted so he tries to figure out the puzzle. It's so clever. It uses social media, Google, and old secret societies. It lulled for few chapters but then hooked me back in. 

I'm a fan of this next guy:

I've read all his books and each one has grown my faith, or at least led to some very serious and challenging discussions. I had high hopes for this one but it fell completely flat. It was boring. Nothing new came it of it and Bell definitely narrowed his audience with this one. I think you have to be a philosophy person who likes to go around questioning the existence of things, or an existentialist that doesn't even think things exist or exist in so many layers that it blows your mind, Man. Not my favourite. 

This next one, I DIDN'T finish. Good gracious!!

It was too strange! It's a book of short stories. I found this book on the short list for the Giller prize. The first story was about a girl who has an issue with eating. When I say issue, I mean she ate clay, dirt and terra cotta planters. Maybe I'll check out the other stories but that's just not my cup of tea...or mud. 

Now to my current read:

I'm half through it. It's not as funny as I thought it would be but it's entertaining enough to keep swiping the pages. Yup, this one is an ebook. 

1 comment:

Darren said...

Ok yes, several there I'd read, been meaning to read Sedaris (like his NPR bits on This American Life).