27 May 2013

1982

1982. I love this book. I could relate. It's a memoir of jian ghomeshi. Basically how music, among other things shaped his life. 1982 was a coming of age type year for him. 
Music has also been a major part of my life. There are certain bands that change your life. Certain songs that become anthems for your existence. One group or album that changes mine was No Need to Argue. The cranberries. Their political agenda and awesome melodies immediately resonated with me. 
Mix tapes were a staple in my high school existence too. If make them, I would receive them. What girl didn't pour over the song choices on a mix from a boy? I tried to decipher how the person felt about me by the number of romantic songs. A guy would generally put little thought into that and just put songs on that he felt was cool and wanted another person to think was cool as well. Cool songs were anything from:
The Breeders
Pixies
Wilco
Sloan
Smashing Pumpkins
Beck
Sebadoh
Radio head

I wish I had kept my mix tapes. They are long gone. Plus, where would you play one anyway?

So back to the book. It is great. Read it. 

No comments: