2 February 2005

grade one gurus and a cry for help

I got the 6am call yesterday to go in and supply. I covered the JK class. They're cute and full of energy which sometimes can get frustrating, but on the whole they're just kids trying to stay focused. During lunch, I had to monitor the lunch room and I wasn't sure what to do when I passed one student's desk and noticed he wrote "Help!" on a napkin that his mom must have packed into his lunch. Gr.3 is probably overwhelming for the strongest of people, so I'm sure he was just having troubles with long division and somehow, eating lunch allowed this feeling to float to the surface. I also over heard a bunch of grade ones discussing how to clean chickens prior to cooking them. One student, between her bites of McDees chicken nuggets asked, "what do they do with the beak?" Another student (whom they all looked to for answers, which is obviously a very powerful position to be in during your grade one academic year), answered, "they cook it all. Even the beak and the feathers. They roast the feathers". Wide-eyed they all looked to their guru and mumbled, "roasted". I opted out of intervening because, well its social lunch time, not teaching time and I remember hearing bogus urban myths throughout my academic life so I'll let them keep their bubbles until they reach post secondary education where they will inevitably burst by deconstructionists and post modernists.

No comments: